The current year and perhaps several years to come are clouded by some uncertainty and strain caused by the international trade wars, global political unrest, and, of course, the severe social, economic, and healthcare effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. Even with some uncertainty, however, new technologies and new programs that are key to manufacturing will continue to create manufacturing jobs and propel output. In these times, as in past times, technology is a harbinger of progress. As writer and futurist Alvin Toffler wrote, “The great growling engine of change is technology.”
What is Manufacturing Technology and Why is it Important?
Manufacturing technology makes modern life possible. It provides the tools that produce quality goods in demand by today’s society, creates the means to support national defense, powers modern communications, enables efficient transportation, drives efficient agriculture, fosters medical innovation, and makes space exploration possible.
New programs and technology innovations help manufacturers improve speed, precision, and efficiency in factory operations, increasing both output and quality. Technology is an ever-evolving field that creates exciting new developments, offerings, and business opportunities for those who embrace them. As Tim O’Reilly, Founder and CEO of O’Reilly Media, said, “What new technology does is create new opportunities to do a job that customers want done.”
2020 and Manufacturing Technology Trends
It is important for manufacturers to take advantage of these trends and new programs to achieve growth in an otherwise uncertain world:
- Robotics and machine learning. This is not the aggressive humanoid robots as found in “The Terminator” movie series. Rather, these are smart machines that use sensors and programs to operate work processes efficiently. Machine learning involves the tracking and predicting of human behavior to advance manufacturing effectiveness.
- The Internet of Things (IoT). This refers to devices that are interconnected to “talk” to each other.
- Cloud computing. This allows manufacturers to manage, process, and store vast amounts of data within a network of internet-connected devices, thus using this data in real-time to adapt and change processes, making the work both more agile and more productive.
- Additive manufacturing. This is more commonly expressed as “3D printing” and it allows manufacturers to create physical three-dimensional objects from a computer design file.
- Smart manufacturing uses analytics and machine learning available to CNC (computer numerically controlled) machines to improve productivity and efficiency.
- As the use of CNC machines has grown, that has opened access points for potential hackers, and that vulnerability must be protected.
- Artificial intelligence provides a way to analyze large sets of data and apply that to production and maintenance.
- Workforce development. Technology advances and new programs open numerous opportunities for skilled workers to find a progressive and satisfying career in manufacturing. New positions involve more problem-solving and equipment operating skills instead of repetitive and manual labor.
How Precision Metal Stamping Embraces Technology
Precision metal stamping is built upon software processes that enable highly efficient and high-quality manufacturing operations for example Computer Aided Design (CAD), Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAM), Computer Numerically Controlled (CNC) production, program optimization software, and systems integration software. The benefits are:
- Cost savings.
- Efficiency in production.
- Quality consistency.
- Efficient material use.
Seek Proven Manufacturing Expertise for Precision Metal Stamping Needs
Contact AAA Tool & Machine, serving the Greater St. Louis area and the Midwest. We have been recognized as a valued partner in the metal stamping industry for our strong tool design and build competency. With our metal stamping capacity, precision machining services, and EDM capability, we provide the superior experience, precision, and quality you can depend on.